Home | Club News | Contact Us | How to Find Us | Links & Club Sponsors | Downloads | Merchandise | Sponsorship | Player Recruitment| Schools Project| Touch Rugby| Ground Relocation
  Club Events | Club History | Safeguarding | Codes of Conduct | Privacy Policy

  Teams Mini   Youth   Senior   

Club Teams
Presidents Message & Blog
I am immensely proud to have been elected President of Norwich Rugby Football Club as it enters its 134th season. For those of you who do not have a clue who I am, I fully intend to spend as much time as possible during the season meeting as many of ... More
Chairmans Message

Welcome all to Beeston Hyrne for what we hope will be another exciting season for the Club.

Our coaching team and the players have been working hard pre-season and our aspiration is to build and progress on last year’s success on the ... More

Join Lion Rugby Club
Prime Club Sponsors

For the full list of Sponsors click Here

Match Report

Wanstead 14 Norwich 24


Wanstead 14 Norwich 24

Norwich consolidated their lead at the top of London Division 2 North with a 14-24 win at Wanstead. After going through several phases with  the forwards the ball was fed to full-back Chris Parrott who made a clean break before passing to second row Jack Walsh who scored. This went unconverted leaving the score 5-0 to the visitors after 8 mins.

From a Wanstead defensive scrum on their 5 meter line, Norwich pushed  them off the ball and no 8 Laurence Austin offloaded to winger Adam Huggins who beat his man and scored in the corner to make the score 10-0 after 25 mins. Norwich again demonstrated their supremacy upfront .

At another 5 meter Wanstead scrum Norwich won the ball against the head and Austin drove for the line but was held up but after 3 more phases he scored under the posts and  Jonny Payne added the conversion to make the score 17-0 at half time.

Soon after the break second row Josh Wilson won a Wanstead line out.

The  forwards set up a  driving maul. Skipper Matt Selby broke down the blindside and fed Huggins on the halfway line who then beat 4 would be tacklers and raced in under the posts. Payne converted to make the score 24-0 after 54 mins. Wanstead came back strongly as Norwich went to sleep and started giving away
needless penalties.

From one of these Wanstead kicked to the corner and   won the lineout but the Norwich defence stood firm after many phases. However  a grubber kick threw the defence and the ball bounced badly for Parrott and Wanstead scored a try which they converted to make the score 24-7  after 67 mins.

Again Wanstead camped in Norwich territory but after several penalties against Norwich the referee finally lost patience and awarded  a penalty try to Wanstead and a yellow card to Huggins to make the score 24-14 after 72 mins. Fortunately Norwich woke up to see out the last 8 minutes and take the points.

FT Wanstead 14 Norwich 24

Match report by Chris Gillham

Design and development: www.lemontwist.co.uk