Home | Club News | Contact Us | How to Find Us | Links & Club Sponsors | Downloads | Merchandise | Sponsorship | Player Recruitment| Schools Project| Touch Rugby| Ground Relocation
  Club Events | Club History | Safeguarding | Codes of Conduct | Privacy Policy

  Teams Mini   Youth   Senior   

Club Teams
Presidents Message & Blog
I am immensely proud to have been elected President of Norwich Rugby Football Club as it enters its 134th season. For those of you who do not have a clue who I am, I fully intend to spend as much time as possible during the season meeting as many of ... More
Chairmans Message

Welcome all to Beeston Hyrne for what we hope will be another exciting season for the Club.

Our coaching team and the players have been working hard pre-season and our aspiration is to build and progress on last year’s success on the ... More

Join Lion Rugby Club
Prime Club Sponsors

For the full list of Sponsors click Here

Match Report

Norwich 25 Diss 19


Norwich 25 Diss 19

Before the game the game, both teams observed a minute's silence in honour of Brendan Dwyer, a former Norwich President, who died recently after a long illness.

Norwich v Diss-2.jpg


Norwich maintained their unbeaten record in a fiercely fought encounter with Diss, but which was probably their poorest first half performance of the season.

Norwich v Diss-15.jpg

They got off to a flying start when Chris Parrott received the kick off and, with the strong breeze behind him, put in a sublime kick into touch, deep into the Diss 22. A couple of lineouts later, and three minutes into the game, Norwich recycled the ball well, for Deane Anderton, playing at 12, to crash over half way out on the right. The kick was missed.

Norwich v Diss-18.jpg

 Norwich v Diss-20.jpg

Scoring so early seemed to negatively affect Norwich and they became careless and looked lethargic at the breakdown. Diss were far more effective in this area, being quicker over the ball and causing the City side problems.  Norwich also started falling off tackles, something that has rarely happened this season.

Norwich v Diss-23.jpg

Despite Norwich having most of the territory, Diss scored next. Norwich failed to control the ball at a scrum midfield on their 22, the ball spitting out of the side. Diss scrum half Jack Fraser was quickest to seize the opportunity and picked  up to go over under the posts.. The kick from Chris Beaird went over.

Norwich v Diss-46.jpg

On about 30 minutes, Norwich were awarded a penalty in front of the Diss posts that Theo Elliott converted.

There was then a lengthy break in play with a neck injury to Chris Beaird, as all precautions were taken. Diss scored again on the stroke of half time as the (normally solid) Norwich tackling failed them and Shaun Blyth broke free to score in the right corner. George Jones, who took over the kicking from Beaird, was unable to land the kick into the wind and Diss went in at half time, deservedly 8-12 ahead.

Norwich v Diss-36.jpg

As frequently happens to Norwich, they played better against the conditions and, following some home truths at half time, came out firing. From the restart they patiently built pressure through numerous phases with the committed Diss defence refusing to yield and holding Norwich up over the line. From the resultant scrum near the posts, the ball went wide and Charlie McConnell went over in the left corner. The kick was missed.

Norwich v Diss-63.jpg

Diss hit back, with some fierce drives at the heart of the Norwich defence, following several penalties, with Rob Silcock going over near the posts and Jones adding the conversion.

Norwich v Diss-48.jpg

The seesaw battle continued as Norwich again fought their way back into the Diss 22 which resulted in a Norwich scrum on 5 metres, in front of the posts. Diss turned the ball over but came round the side of the scrum into the Norwich back row, where the ball was dislodged and Dave Micklethwaite picked it up to go over. Elliott added the conversion and Norwich restored their slender one point lead.

Norwich v Diss-67.jpg

Diss went down to 14 men with 8 minutes to go and attacking the Norwich line, as the referee lost patience with the mounting number of penalties, Nick Garnham being sent to the sin bin.  As the game wound down, Norwich scored again in the right corner, with a nice break from Anderton, offloading for Jake Wharton to go over. The kick was missed. Norwich held Diss at bay for the remainder of the game to secure the points.

Norwich v Diss-77.jpg

 Norwich v Diss-78.jpg

This was a typically hard fought derby game, much like their last meeting, and although Norwich were not quite firing, they did just enough to hold out for the win.

The  win means that Norwich retain the Dai Evans trophy for another season. Dai's widow Marilyn presented the cup to Norwich Captain Matt Selby after the game.

Norwich v Diss-3.jpg

 Norwich v Diss-4.jpg

 Norwich v Diss-5.jpg

Thank you to our mascots and ballboys that helped out at the game. We hope you enjoyed the afternoon.

Norwich v Diss-1.jpg 

More photos from the game on our Facebook page.

Design and development: www.lemontwist.co.uk